Before you head out the door for your afternoon off or that long-awaited summer vacation, take a moment to turn on Outlook’s Automatic Replies for your email.
Email piles up while you’re out. It’s polite to let people know you’re away and who to contact during your absence. (Who knows, when you come back, it may all be taken care of for you! Or that’s the dream anyway.)
Automatic Replies in Outlook
- Go to File > Automatic Replies.
- In the window that appears, select Send automatic replies.
- Select an optional time range for when you want your automatic reply to go out. (You can use this to pre-schedule your out-of-office message, rather than setting it up minutes before you leave.)
- Set your message for Inside My Organization (for colleagues) and Outside My Organization.
- Click OK.
Automatic Replies in Outlook Online
- Click the Settings gear icon in the top right of your screen.
- Type “automatic” in the search box at the top. (Do this so you can jump straight to the setting you need, rather than scrolling through all the Outlook settings.)
- Choose Automatic replies from the list.
- Select Turn on automatic replies.
- Select an optional time range.
- Set your messages for inside and outside your organization.
- Click Save.
And that’s it! If you set a time range, your Automatic Replies will start and stop on their own and you won’t have to remember to turn them off when you return.