Social Engineering: The Art of the Con
Social engineering is the use of psychological manipulation and deception to trick individuals into performing specific actions or divulging sensitive information. Social engineers know how to manipulate emotions and use them against the victim. The classic Nigerian Prince scam is an example!
These type of scammers may know a lot about you, and pretend to be you to other people in order to get access to your accounts. They may also know what will entice you.
To avoid social engineering, remember to:
- Always follow your organization’s policies
- Think before clicking
- Remain skeptical of requests for sensitive information
- Limit the personal information you make public
- Set your social media profiles to private
- Use strong, unique passwords everywhere